It is my experience that Dominick's is the higher priced grocer in town. They've tried to match Jewel's "big relief price cuts" but they're still lagging way behind.
There isn't really any trick to shopping at Dominick's, just a couple of things that you should know so that you can maximize your savings!
1) Get a Fresh Values Card. It takes 2 minutes to sign up, and you can do it in the check-out line! Just ask any cashier, or the customer service desk for an application!
2) In addition to the Fresh Values Card, Dominick's is also involved in 3 different electronic coupon programs. Click here to sign up for all three and load coupons directly onto your Fresh Values Card. The programs are called Cellfire, Shortcuts, and Proctor and Gamble E-saver. They add new coupons ever 2 weeks or so!
3) You can combine E-coupons with paper coupons to maximize your savings. For example:
Shortcuts has a $1/1 for Nature Valley Granola Nut Clusters
Cellfire has the same coupon
and I have a $1.60/1 printable
I could buy a bag of Nature Valley Granola Nut Clusters and use my paper coupon, and both E-coupons will deduct automatically! That's $3.60 savings! sometimes, it is more savings than the product cost, so it ends up being an overage!
4) Dominick's accepts expired manufacturer's coupons (up to 6 months old). Generally they won't accept expired store coupons.
5) Dominick's will generally put some "super coupons" in their Wednesday/Thursday grocery circular. These coupons state that you must spend at least $20 before being able to use them. This is figured before you use any coupons, so if you're just barely at $20, hand it over first.
6) Dominick's will participate in Catalina (CAT) promotions (when a coupon is printed after you pay, what you buy triggers the CAT). Generally, they aren't as frequent or valuable as the Jewel CATs. Additionally, to qualify for a Dominick's CAT you must buy the amount specified in the ad. (Unlike Jewel where you have to have the sale price add up to the amount specified, but the preferred price is much lower).